OAK HARBOR: Hillside project deadline extended

Whidbey News-Times
Share

The Oak Harbor City Council granted a developer a two-year extension of an agreement related to a large-scale housing development on the hillside above the Safeway and Walmart.

In a 5-2 vote at a meeting Tuesday, the council approved the two-year extension of a development agreement and Planned Residential Development between the city and Pacific North Group, Inc. In addition, the council gave the developer 60 days to abide by conditions that include creation of a construction schedule and an engineer’s estimate.

It’s been about five years since the 20 acres were cleared to make way for a 192-house development in the highly visible property in Oak Harbor and little visible progress has been made. The development agreement and subdivision was set to expire at the end of the month, according to city staff.

They Said It

The council members largely empathized with [developer Scott Thompson, who complained about the city] and did not defend the city against the accusation, although Councilmember Tara Hizon explained it was not the city’s intention to make things difficult for him.

Councilmember James Marrow said he was glad that Thompson spoke up.

“When there’s no solid information available publicly, it’s very important to get a grasp of what the developer is going through,” he said.

Councilmember Eric Marshall questioned Development Services Director David Kuhl about some parts of the development agreement and asked whether it was unusual to add such conditions as an engineer’s estimate to the extension.

Kuhl said the conditions are spelled out in the development agreement and city code, but he emphasized that he would like a new development agreement and subdivision to be worked out between the city and Thompson.

The current agreement was unique in that it allows the infrastructure and housing to be built at the same time; normally the infrastructure has to be completed before building permits can be issued.

Kuhl said this “innovative” agreement has not worked out.

“One of the problems we’ve had with this project is nothing has moved in any particular piece,” he said. “So we think if we go back to the conventional way of processing subdivisions and building permits, we think we will be more successful.”

The motion passed 5-2, with Councilmembers Christopher Wiegenstein and Bryan Stucky voting against it. Stucky had previously said he favored the one-year extension that Thompson had requested.


On the Ballot in 2025

CITY OF OAK HARBOR
City Council: Four of seven council positions are scheduled to be on the ballot this year.
Position 4: Barbara Armes
Councilor Armes was appointed after the resignation of Dan Evans. This election will be for the remainder of Evans’ full term, which ends Dec. 31, 2025, and the succeeding four-year full term, which ends Dec. 31, 2029.
Position 5: James P. Marrow
Councilor Marrow was appointed after the resignation of Shane Hoffmire. This election will be for the remainder of Hoffmire’s full term, which ends Dec. 31, 2025, and the succeeding four-year full term, which ends Dec. 31, 2029.
Position 6: Jim Woessner
Position 7: Bryan Stucky
  • March 28, 2025